Tuesday 8 January 2013

sleeping with the enemy

Indian cockroaches are red-brown numbers large enough to collar and leash.  I have tried researching the suckers to make myself better versed on this topic, but could not stomach the results.  The two things I have learned are:
1)  I personally can't kill anything that you would need a shovel to bury.

2)  The Koran does not prevent believers from killing cockroaches with the use of insecticide or other means with the exception of fire.  I know because I have now read ALL of the passages of the Koran pertaining to pest control.  This research has allowed me to force Muslim boys to kill cockroaches for me.  They apparently worry about their immortal soul, but are not troubled by more practical concerns such as the size of a potential corpse.

Simon could not sleep one night last week because of the sound from not one, but two cockroaches in our room.  I had Adil kill them for us (after a short lesson on the teachings of the Koran).  This was when we discovered Adil's particular talent in this area as he located and killed both cockroaches in a matter of a few minutes.  I know that he did for a fact because I insisted on identifying the bodies before they were tossed over the cliff.

I woke the following night with something crawling on me and knew immediately that it was a cockroach because the weight and span.  I turned on the LED light that I sleep with for this very reason and when I finally saw the sucker moving in the sheets I freaked silently so as not to wake hotel guests.  When I was finished, I woke Simon and then Adil-obviously. The hunt was unsuccessful, but Simon and I did return to sleep in the room that night and lived to fumigate the following morning-praise Allah.

Simon assures me he would have avoided the situation altogether by squishing anything that dared to crawl on him in the middle of the night rather than letting it escape.  He is a big talker for a dude unable to kill his own cockroaches.  I would not have blogged about this if my sister Cathy had not insisted that I do so after hearing Simon brag about his imaginary cockroach-killing prowess.

As a gift to readers I have refrained from including a photo in this post.  Hope you sleep well tonight.




1 comment:

  1. As I pressed "publish" I heard screams through the floor from room number 3. I am on my now to tell Adil that he is on cockroach duty.

    ReplyDelete