Sunday 24 March 2013

hunting & collecting

I went to the Sunday market alone this evening to hunt for food.  Simon true to form would not leave the apartment.  
This market vendor had a plate of bamboo baskets each with 2 live birds in it.  She was charging people a fee for releasing the birds.  I didn't get close enough to see how much she was charging or talk to her because I was afraid she would charge me for taking her photo.  I really wanted to tell her that if she didn't trap the birds in the first place, she wouldn't have to release them.

This is one of the food stall areas of the market where I found dinner.
Simon obviously did not have a say in the menu, so I bought any item that interested me: an omelet cooked in banana leaf, skewers of funky mushroom slices and skewers of chicken, a serving of noodle soup, two packages of sticky rice cooked in banana leaf, a chocolate waffle and a chocolate banana roti.
 
The blue turned out well in the picture, but the photo does not do the green justice.  
Simon tried everything I brought home, except the sticky rice.  In his defense, one of the rice balls was electric blue and the other was neon green.   To clarify- both were excellent.  The two desert options were the only dishes to get the thumbs up from his highness.  Perhaps he should attend the hunt himself in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment