Monday 4 March 2013

4 nights in Bangkok

So on our first night in Bangkok Simon and I are taking a taxi back to the hotel and the cab driver confirms our destination:  "Blah blah blah Christian Hospital blah blah blah PATPONG" and it hits me- the reason why I am not familiar with this area of the city is because it is the red light district.  When I booked the hotel online I was thinking financial district-ish, which it is on weekdays.

Since we have been here Simon has not been doing homework, but Patpong is an education in itself.  He thought the area was called Ping Pong on the first night because of all of the men approaching me asking if I wanted to see a free ping pong show.  He then begged me not to explain ping pong to him and I don't need to be asked twice.  I think he has been traumatized by the sight of tour groups of seniors heading in to the market with stalls of sex toys and lined with clubs that have their doors hanging open.  We took an alternate street home on the second night only to come across hundreds of girls sitting on chairs on the sidewalk waiting for customers.  His version of events should be entertaining.

We have been to the weekend market, the night market obviously, a large temple, the Jim Thompson House and two shopping malls so far.  Today I want to do the Grand Palace and China Town, so I should go kick him out of bed.  We will post pictures soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, we are so related. Just ask my children about the "sports store" in Paris.
    I laughed hysterically at this story but laughed even harder as I watched Mary read the blog. Yes the look of horror cross her face several times was the best. I am glad that I am not the only fool in the world.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. You NEED to explain what a ping pong show is. It is an important part of a young man's social development, especially if he learns it from his mother.

    ReplyDelete