Saturday 2 February 2013

purchasing produce

I buy my "froots" and vegetables from the vendor nearest to the helipad out of necessity.  It is the fastest source of produce and some of the other, larger sellers in the area, refuse to deal with me because I do not purchase enough volume to make me worth their while.  It has been an easy habit to form as the owner at this place has been very nice to me.  When he is too busy with larger orders to serve me, he makes me sit behind the counter on a blue plastic chair and eat an orange.  Usually he is ready before I finish the last segment.  This technique does in fact keep me calm and occupied for short periods of time.


I have cheated on him a little purchasing prettier oranges up the street, or better out-of-season mangoes in town, but I always feel guilty after. He claims that one day a few weeks ago I did not even visit him at all.  With one day so much like the next here I cannot say for sure-he could be right. In addition to scolding me for my obvious indiscretion, he took the opportunity to explain to me how important it is that I buy only from him because he gives me wholesale- no margin- unlike the others.  He also told me that money does not matter between us.  Ten days, 15 days no pay even is OK.  I know that he was telling the truth because he held my hand and looked directly in to my eyes when he said it.

My vegetable man has an interest in Canada and would like to move there as soon as we straighten out our weather problems.  Apparently Canada suffers from too much of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment