Wednesday 20 March 2013

a really BIG day

So we went to an elephant rescue park for the day (despite Simon's objections) where we met a few babies and a lot of beautiful older ladies.  The girl on the left is quite disabled as the result of two logging camp accidents and her best friend on the right was blinded because of maltreatment in a logging camp.  Now they spend every minute together and help look after one another.

This is the oldest lady in the park at about 80 years old. I was told that she wears a flower in her ear "For beauty" when I was stupid enough to ask.

The old lady was a messy eater because she had to hold your hand still when she took the food from you- I think maybe because she was a little blind.  The picture above shows my hand covered with brown elephant slobber.  I could have posted a picture of my super sparkly left leg after one of the 150 rescued street dogs licked it clean.


This 5 month old is the newest addition to the park.  His mother is disabled from stepping on a landmine and cannot care for him completely.  He is leaning up against his nanny- a 70 year old local busybody who loves babies.   She kept hanging out around the enclosure after he was born until they let her in.  She has helped to care for the little guy ever since.  



Simon bathing one of the girls.

 

2 comments:

  1. I see Simon is getting up close and personal with the bathing process. Way to go Simon .......... Marg Schram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to gone there with you. My most favorite animal ever.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete