Tuesday 2 April 2013

hilltribe hillarity



I was forced to change my Thai handicraft search strategy after the silk weaving adventure of 2013.  It was a relatively simple fix.  I only had to announce my desire to see authentic hilltribe textile craft production to three confused market vendors before one gave me a phone number.  Her father's phone number to be precise.  

One phone call later and I was heading out of town folded in to the half cab seat of the family pick-up truck. The jungle scenery was idylic and the muscle clenches I had to do every time the seat slid out of position on the mountain switch backs was undoubtedly excellent for building core strength.

The entire experience was amazing.  I got to watch Hmong traditional dress fabrics in all stages of production and was even allowed the batik wax resist technique.  I made a fool of myself for the general amusement of the crowd of villagers that had collected.




They were too polite to say anything directly, but I think I can assume that my lack of talent rules me out as a potential Hmong marriage candidate.  Good for a laugh, but not someone you would take home to mom (and the 7 other relatives that live in you two room house).

It is obvious I need practice if I  ever hope to find a husband, so in the end I bought three wax application tools.  They were made by the artist's father 20 years ago.  It seems even the skill required to make the tools is disappearing from their village.  She assured me that he would make her new ones to replace them, so they could be used to do demonstrations for the next hopeless tourist.
 
Hand worked applique.
Unfortunately, you can't see the bright blue cell phone stowed in the sewing basket in this photo.
A piece of finished batik and a finished pleated skirt.


Indigo plants used for dyeing.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for elephant post. There was much oohing and aawing at our house.
    As for your core workout some of us pay big bucks for a workout like that! So in all reality you got a two for one deal. A textile extravaganza with a side order of muscle boot camp.
    A very funny and awesome adventure once again.

    xoxoxoxo
    C




    xoxo
    C

    ReplyDelete