Wednesday 3 April 2013

a little chicken

I could not get closer with my camera
 because the damn things make too much noise.
I have been seeing large open work bamboo baskets for sale at road side stalls in Thailand and wanted one to take home with me.  They are far too large to fit in my suitcase and I had no idea what they are used for until I took a walk in my neighbourhood a few days ago.  They are chicken cages!

Many of the birds are free range during the day and the bamboo prisons are only dropped on them at night. Yes that's right, I said it: free range chicken in the middle of the city..

The local temples seem to prefer the free range kind.




This noisy bugger was sitting in a tree when I went to visit the Hmong tribe.  His owner takes him on a leash when he goes hunting in the jungle.  The noise he makes flushes wild birds out of the brush.

When I asked why the local dogs didn't eat this captive snack, it was explained to me that dogs and chickens are friends.  

l would fashion a muzzle for him to wear when he is hanging out at home if he were my personal jungle bait.

No comments:

Post a Comment